Are you looking to test your knowledge of movie trivia? The average person watches more than 5,000 films throughout their lifetime.
Many of these films make us who we are — strongly influencing our personality, outlooks on life, and even our relationships.
Movies are great conversation starters, and taking a quiz to test your movie mastery is a fun way to bond and build interactive experiences.
So whether you are challenging yourself or making a quiz for movie night entertainment, here are 55 movie trivia questions and answers.
Our movie trivia questions consist of popular genres, ranging from questions about the best 80s movies to Disney trivia for kids. There’s something for everyone!
8 most popular movie trivia categories
Before we get started, know that this is a list of trivia questions with answers. Highlight the text underneath the question to reveal the respective answers.
1. 80s movie trivia
- Q: Who performed the famous theme song for Ghostbusters?
A: Ray Parker Jr.
- Q: Who does Louis Tully become when he gets possessed by Gozer?
A: The Keymaster – Vinz Clortho
- Q: “I’ll be back” is a famous quote from which 80’s action film?
A: The Terminator
- Q: What car was used as the time machine in Back to the Future?
- Q: In Back to The Future (1985), what year does Marty McFly travel back to?
- Q: At the beginning of the movie Beetlejuice, what does Adam find crawling on his model of the town?
A: A spider
- Q: How do you summon Beetlejuice?
A: By saying his name three times
- Q: What was the second Indiana Jones movie in the franchise?
A: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
2. Comedy movie trivia
- Q: What comedy movie franchise did Jim Carrey and Harry Dunne star in?
A: Dumb and Dumber
- Q: What does Mr. Bean always carry around with him?
A: His teddy
- Q: Who plays the main character in a movie about a man who gets a universal remote that can control time?
A: Adam Sandler
- Q: What is Phil Connor’s job (played by Bill Murray) in the movie Groundhog Day?
A: Weatherman/ Meteorologist
- Q: How many movie titles are in the Despicable Me franchise so far?
A: 6 (as of 2022)
- Q: What is Latrell’s (played by Terry Crew) favorite song in White Chicks?
A: A Thousand Miles
- Q: How did The School of Rock get accepted into the Battle of the Bands?
A: The students pretend to all have a terminal illness
- Q: Who are the Mean Girls (a.k.a the Plastics)?
A: Regina George, Gretchen Wieners, and Karen Smith
3. Disney movie trivia
- Q: In which movie does Prince Phillip appear?
A: Sleeping Beauty
- Q: In Finding Nemo, Dory called Nemo five other nicknames. What is one of them?
A: Chico, Fabio, Bingo, Harpo, and Elmo
- Q: Which Disney princess movie is the only one based on an actual person?
- Q: What is the name of the little human girl from Monster, Inc. known as Boo?
- Q: What child star played twins in Disney’s 1998 movie The Parent Trap?
A: Lindsay Lohan
- Q: What are the names of Cinderella’s stepsisters?
A: Anastasia and Drizella
- Q: Which Disney character in Pinocchio sings “When You Wish Upon A Star”?
A: Jiminy Cricket
4. Harry Potter movie trivia
- Q: Where does the Dursley family live?
A: Number Four, Privet Drive
- Q: How was the infant Harry described after the death of his parents?
A: The boy who lived
- Q: What does Hagrid bring Harry when he first meets him?
A: A birthday cake
- Q: What does Ron receive after stealing the flying car?
A: A howler from Mrs. Weasly
- Q: What form does Harry’s Patronus take?
- Q: What is the name of the pub where Harry, Ron, and Hermione go for Butterbeers?
A: The Three Broomsticks
- Q: Which Hogwarts class has a different teacher every year?
A: Defence against the Dark Arts
- Q: Who killed Snape in the Deathly Hallows Part 2?
A: Voldermort’s pet Nagini
5. Romance movie trivia
- Q: What romance movie featuring Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio scored 11 Academy Awards in 1998?
- Q: What song did Patrick Verona serenade Kat in 10 Things I Hate About You?
A: Can’t Take My Eyes Off You
- Q: Where is Nick’s family from in Crazy Rich Asians?
- Q: What is Warner’s nickname for Elle in Legally Blonde?
A: Pooh Bear
- Q: Where did Harry and Sally meet in When Harry Met Sally?
A: University of Chicago
- Q: What is Julia Rober’s character name in Pretty Woman?
A: Vivian Ward
- Q: What is Henry Roth’s job in 50 First Dates?
A: Marine veterinarian
- Q: In Never Been Kissed, what was Josie called in high school?
A: Josie Grossy
6. Horror movie trivia
- Q: What is Chucky’s favorite game in the movie Child’s Play?
A: Hide the soul
- Q: What is Robbie (from the Poltergeist) afraid of?
A: Thunderstorm, clown, and tree
- Q: What horror movie is the quote “Do you want to play a game” from?
- Q: What color is Freddy Krueger’s iconic sweater?
A: Red and green
- Q: What is Leatherface’s signature weapon?
A: The chainsaw
7. Marvel and DC movie trivia
- Q: Who is the first to discover that Peter Parker is Spider-Man?
- Q: What is the name of Thor’s hammer?
- Q: Wonder Woman first appeared on the big screen in which DCEU movie?
A: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
- Q: Who is Loki’s biological father?
- Q: Who is responsible for killing half of the universe’s population in Avengers: Infinity War?
- Q: What is the actual name of Captain America?
A: Steve Rogers
8. Sci-fi movie trivia
- Q: What is the name of the main ship in the Star Trek franchise?
- Q: What kind of ape is Koba from Planet of the Apes?
A: Evolved Bonobo
- Q: Which planet is Jar Jar Binks from?
- Q: What did E.T. eat in the movie?
A: Reese’s Pieces
- Q: In The Matrix, what training program does everyone miss the first time?
A: The Jump Program
Create your movie trivia
Have you aced this quiz? Share them with your friends and families to see how well they do. Or if watching movies is a big part of your lifestyle.
Create a movie trivia today using a Google Form or riddle quiz maker to share your movie recommendations and have a fun time with friends.